Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Our very own homeward bound story

 
 

When we set off on our month long travels we decided to leave our black lab at Adams parents house. They live on 30 or so acres and Bailey has always loved the adventure of the horses and swimming in the horse troughs. So we felt good leaving him there. But he has never been left over a week. The first week he was there we were also there so he did great just hanging out at the house. The second week (of his three week stay) we were in CA and apparently he started missing us a bit. He went missing at the end of week two. Adams parent had a little weekend trip planned two days after he was still lost and I started freaking out a little about no one being there if he were to be found or if he returned to their house. So I called my sweet sister and brother in law and I'm sure they thought I was crazy. Before I could even start explaining anything I was already crying and they really had no way of saying no to a crying crazy lady. So they heading to Gadsden from Birmingham, a good hour drive or more, and did what we couldn't do being in CA. They searched ALL DAY, from day light to dark for or lost dog but never saw him. They had plans of getting up the next day and doing the same but thought they should just yell for him a bit before they heading out in case he was somewhere close to home. As they were loading up for another day of searching he came limping up to the house. I say limping because the first thing they noticed was that his back leg was extremely broken and dangling with every step. They got him in, treated him like a king and Adam parents took him to the vet Monday morning. We made it there a week or so later to take him to his new home in TN. He now has his cast off, but his leg is far from normal. He still has extreme swelling and his incisions from the pin that was put in his leg in still not fully healed. He has not starting walking with his hurt leg so this week we have started dog therapy (taking him to the lake for swimming). We have noticed that when he swims he has to use his leg to get out of the muddy water and to push off to fetch his toy duck. So far I think it is helping him a bit. Hopefully at some point he will get full use of his leg back but I don't think it will be anytime soon. We are just so thankful he returned to us.
When we first found out that he was missing we started praying for his safe return. At first I wasn't sure I should tell Ella (Bailey is her best bud) in fear that she would be beside herself but it was a really great experience for her. She really learned to pray and had a desire to pray all the time for Jesus to help her bailey come home. And since then she is always wanting to pray for the healing of his leg, that he would stop licking it, and that he would get better soon. When my sister called and told us he was found we prayed and thanked God for helping us. She kept saying, thank you for my Josh and Allie, they helped you find my bailey! What a sweet time to teach our Ella!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Josh and Allison said...

We can't take all of the credit. Josh and I were amazed at the hard work that Rita as Terral had put in to searching for Bailey by the time we got there. Everywhere we went on our search there were already fliers out, every person we talked to was already searching for him. It was really neat to see how much the people on that area of the mountain knew and loved the Carr family, and how they all had their different connections with them. It turned out to be a really good experience for Josh and I looking for Bailey that weekend. It was good to be a part if a close nit community and see that there really still are caring people out there who are more than willing to help you in a time of need. Ella's prayers were definitely felt that weekend. I'm just glad we got to be a part of it!

Chad and Mollie Hayes said...

That is such a sad story, but I'm so happy it had such a good ending! How sweet that Ella was praying for her "buddy". Hope Bailey continues to heal quickly!!

Adam, Bentley and Ella Carr said...

That's true Allie, the Carrs had put in a lot of searching and love for our crazy dog!